Hispanic family at dinner table

How Long Can I Stay in the United States with My Family Member?

Countless immigrants wish to be with their families in the United States. There are several ways to achieve this; however, navigating the immigration system can be complex and stressful. Our experienced family-based immigration team at Colón Law Firm can help you bring your loved ones to the United States.

The Visa Waiver Program

Under the Visa Waiver Program, citizens of participating countries can travel to the United States for up to 90 days without a visa. This program requires a valid Electronic System for Travel Authorization, a web-based system used to determine eligibility for travel. Here is more information about the participating countries.

B-2 Visitor Visa

The B2 visa is a temporary, non-immigrant visa that allows the holder to travel to the United States for tourism, such as vacation or visiting family. The length of stay can vary depending on the circumstances. A stay of six months to one year is typical.


The visitor may extend their authorized stay by another six months from inside the United States, provided the visitor files the application before the end of their current period of authorized stay. Such applications typically require a reasonable explanation as to why the applicant needs to stay for more time, such as a death in the family, an illness, and being present for a once-in-a-lifetime event.

Whether you are applying for a family visa or an extension, it is crucial to enlist the help of experienced legal guidance, always in your best interest.

How Colón Law Firm Can Help

When reuniting with your family in the United States, the team at Colón Law Firm can help you explore your options and guide you through the process. Our experienced immigration attorneys have helped countless individuals and families navigate the United States immigration system.

Contact us today through our website or call us at (864) 697-2870 to schedule a consultation!