Work Permit Attorneys in Greer

Work Permit Attorneys in Greer

Legal Help for Hard Working Immigrants

At Colón Law Firm, our skilled legal team is committed to assisting immigrants who need to obtain work permits so that they can find gainful employment in the United States. However, lawful employment is not reserved to only immigrants with green cards, U.S. citizenship, or specific work visas. You do not need a work permit to accept a job in the United States. Our lawyers are here to guide you through the legal process and explain everything you need to do to qualify for a work permit so you can legally work.

What is a Work Permit?

Work permits are issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). A work permit is known in the legal world as an Employment Authorization Document (EAD). The actual work permit is a photo identity card that looks similar to a driver's license.

Who Can Apply for a Work Permit?

The following are examples of immigrants than can apply for a work permit:

  • Individuals with a pending application for adjustment of status
  • Individuals reporting to ICE
  • Spouses of various visa holders
  • K-1 fiancé visa holders
  • Individuals who have claimed asylum
  • Individuals with Temporary Protected Status (TPS)
  • Individuals with Deferred Enforced Departure (DED)
  • F-1 students

It is important to note that people with tourist visas and undocumented immigrants are ineligible to apply for a work permit.

How Do I Apply for a Work Permit?

If you want to apply for a work permit, you must complete and submit USCIS Form I-765. The form contains basic information, such as your name and contact information. Question 22 on the form asks for your most recent entry into the U.S., while Question 29 requires you to look through the USCIS website to determine which eligibility category you fall into. You will also need to photocopy proof of your status. So if you have been granted asylum, you will need a copy of the order you received from the judge.

You must also pay a $410.00 filing fee, as well as an $85.00 biometric services fee if you are filing under one of the following categories:

  • Requesting consideration of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)
  • A beneficiary of an approved employment-based immigrant petition and you are facing compelling circumstances
  • A spouse or unmarried dependent child of a beneficiary of an employment-based immigrant petition who is facing compelling circumstances

Other eligibility categories do not have to pay a biometric services fee.

FAQ: Work Permits

Question #1: What documents do I need to submit with my work permit?

A: You will need the following documents to apply for a work permit:

  • Copy of your I-94 travel record
  • Copy of your U.S. visa
  • Copy of your passport photo page
  • Copies of any previous work permits

If you have not been issued a work permit in the past, you will need to submit a copy of one of the following:

  • Birth certificate and a photo ID
  • Copy of a visa issued by a consulate other than the United States
  • Other national identity documents that have your photo and/or fingerprint

Question #2: How long does it take to get a work permit?

A: It can take between 150 and 210 days for USCIS to process work permit applications. However, due to a growing backlog of cases, it can take even longer.

Question #3: What are some of the common reasons work permits are denied?

A: The following are common reasons USCIS denies work permits:

  • Incomplete or incorrect information on Form I-765
  • Missing signatures
  • Failing to include required copies and documents

We Proudly Offer Client-Focused Legal Services

When you choose Colón Law Firm to represent you, your legal team will take the time to sit with you and discuss every detail of your situation so we can build a strong legal strategy that will allow us to advocate for all of your rights and protect your best interests. Our clients matter to us, which is why we strive to provide tier 1 legal services throughout each step of the legal process. Get in touch with us today so we can help you achieve your immigration goals.

To schedule your case consultation with a lawyer at our firm, call (864) 697-2870 today.